Please fill out and return to school to come to the Holiday Movie Night.
If you have already or would rather have their child screened for scoliosis at their doctor please sign and return this waiver to Coach Hyatt.
Scoliosis testing will be on December 15th for 6th and 8th graders.
Our Community Outreach Committee at Awtrey would like to foster the spirit of giving by offering assistance to families in need and allowing other families in our school community to support our community. We will be sponsoring the Giving Tree this holiday season. The “ornaments” on a Giving Tree are the specific toy and clothing needs of children in our community who may not receive gifts otherwise. It is our hope to help the families of our students who need assistance with clothing and toy requests. The Giving Tree will be accessible to Awtrey staff members and other adults in our school community to choose ornaments and to fulfill a specific request (“Giving Tree” will be accessed on-line).
If you would like your family to be considered for our Giving Tree program, please see below. All submissions must be completed and turned no later than Monday, December 5th. All information will be kept confidential. If there are any questions an Awtrey staff member will be contacting families.
We are also seeking families to donate gifts and/or wrapping materials to help meet the Giving Tree requests. If you are able to help, please see below.
If you have any questions about this program, please do not hesitate to contact us at school. Thank you in advance for helping us celebrate this holiday season with our school community.
Awtrey Community Outreach Committee
ALL FORMS MUST BE TURNED IN BY MONDAY, DECEMBER 5TH
ANY QUESTIONS CAN BE DIRECTED TO OUR SCHOOL COUNSELOR, CINDY ZELL,
Join us on Monday, November 14th for a parent round table discussion for Online Safety. We will talk about apps, steps parents are taking to keep their children safe online, and more. Please sign up on Sign Up Genius to just give us a heads up of how many to expect. If you don’t sign up, please feel free to come if your plans allow it.
We will meet in the CLC at 6 PM. Please remember that students are not permitted at this meeting.
Awtrey is raising awareness about Rett Syndrome. Watch the video to learn more about this rare non-inherited genetic neurological disorder. Rett Syndrome video
- Please contact your child’s conferencing teacher if you have any questions about your planned conference, or you can contact the school if you need to confirm the conferencing teacher.
- Students are required to attend their conferences as they will lead the discussions, and one of your child’s core class teachers will also be providing feedback during the second half of the conference.
- Please remember that we will dismiss school at 2:15 each day next week for our conferences, and there will be a supervised study hall in the cafeteria for those students who will wait at school for their conference times. Parents may pick up their children in the cafeteria before their assigned conference times.
- Parents may park in the front lot, bus port or back lot during conference days. Staff members will be available at each of these entrances to assist families.
- Parents may have their families join PTSA, during conference week, and current PTSA members are posted in the front lobby. Our goal is 100% of our families!
- We will also be having our book fair in the media center during conference week. We are still looking for book fair volunteers, and parents who are able to volunteer at the book fair can visit our school or PTSA website to sign up.
- Please make sure you complete the conference week survey. This survey will provide important feedback about conference week and also parent recommendations about ways Awtrey can better support their students and families.
Thank you for joining us to celebrate student achievement. We look forward to seeing you!
Red Ribbon Week is October 24-28. We encourage students and staff to dress for our themed days below! The campaign slogan is YOLO Be Drug Free (#youonlyliveonce).
- Themed Days
- Monday: Drugs are “Old School”, so say peace out to drugs.
- Dress in your favorite decades attire (poodle skirts/tie-dye/bell bottoms)
- Tuesday: “Lei” off drugs
- Dress in your favorite Hawaiian/tropical attire
- Wednesday: I’m a “Jeanius” in red, because I am drug free.
- Dress in your favorite jeans and red shirt
- Thursday: Don’t heehaw around, give drugs the boot!
- Dress in Western wear and boots
- Friday: Team up Against Drugs
- Dress in your favorite team shirt or jersey
- Monday: Drugs are “Old School”, so say peace out to drugs.
The National PTA Reflections art contest celebrates diversity in the arts, and in the students in our school and community. For those of you that might not be familiar with the program, every year Awtrey Middle School students submit entries that are judged by outside professionals in the Arts Community. (Last year judging was done by the Zuckerman Museum at KSU.) All participants are recognized in a special ceremony with medals and certificates; family members are also invited to attend. First and Second Place submissions from each category AND each grade level advance to Council competition, and can advance to District, State and National competition!
If you are reading this and thinking, “This is a lot of work” or “I will never win,” please consider this – submitting is as simple as: cranking up a tune for your dance mob that fits this year’s theme – “What is Your Story?” You could create and print with a 3D printer, sing a song with a friend, take a selfie, create a clay animation, Legos or with your own drawings. The possibilities are endless!
Awtrey Middle School encourages student participation in this wonderful nationally-recognized program, and we would love to assist your child (and you) on this art-astic journey to sharing your child’s story!
Forms are due to the front office by November 4th by 9am!
Awtrey MS PTA
It is almost time for second Scholastic Book Fair of the year. The book fair will be open from 8:30am to 6:00pm October 17th through the 20th and from 8:30am – 2:00pm on the 21st. Pack up will be from 2:00-4:00pm on the 21st. This book fair will have students visiting with their classes and will be open during conferences, so we need volunteers to assist students and parents.
Many of our seasoned book fair volunteers’ children have moved on to high school, so we are looking for new recruits, no experience necessary. We will train you. We appreciate your help whether you sign up for one or all of the volunteer time slots! Volunteers will receive a 5% discount for this book fair. Volunteer Sign-Up
Join us at Big Pie in the Sky and Zoyo for an Awtrey Spirit Night on September 20th.